What is ESOS?
ESOS (Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme) is a UK based mandatory energy assessment scheme that was established in response to Article 8 of the EU Energy Efficiency Directive 2012/27/EU.
The Environment Agency administer the scheme.
Organisations that qualify for ESOS must carry out ESOS assessments every 4 years. These assessments are audits of the energy used by their buildings, industrial processes and transport to identify cost-effective energy saving measures.
Who needs to comply?
If the company is a ‘large undertaking’ and meets the below requirements, it needs to comply with ESOS:
- Employs 250 or more people, or
- Has an annual turnover of more than 50 million euro (£38,937,777), and an annual balance sheet total of more than 43 million euro (£33,486,489)
- An overseas company with a UK registered establishment which has 250 or more UK employees.
Why comply with ESOS now?
There may be a tendency to delay appointing a consultant because you believe ‘there is plenty of time to comply’. The following points explain the importance and benefits to you for complying early:
- Lead Assessors are limited
- Give your company plenty of time – establishing the fuel use across your company and collecting the relevant data can be time-consuming
- An early start gives your company more time to become compliant before the ‘rush’ to comply at the end of 2019
- Avoid fines for non-compliance – The civil penalties which can (at the discretion of the regulator) be applied are listed in the table below.
Failure to notify A fixed penalty of up to £5,000
Failure to undertake energy audit A fixed penalty of up to £50,000
Failure to comply with enforcement notices A fixed penalty of up to £5,000
Making a false or misleading statement A fixed penalty of up to £50,000
SRL’s ESOS services
- Project management
- Tools and templates to assist with data collection and compliance
- Energy data collection
- Data analysis
- Energy auditing
- Compliance reporting
- Lead Assessor services.
- Dedicated Project Manager and project team
- Quick, efficient service
- Clear and concise information offered at the appropriate times, i.e. summary emails to give an overview of what is needed followed by more in-depth information about the specific data requirements as needed
- The ability to offer solutions, particularly with regard to data format and quality, i.e. data relating to fuel used in company cars can be provided in several formats – miles driven, fuel card data, expense claims. The team would need to offer solutions to overcome data that is provided in several formats
- Our 50 year record in environmental consultancy, audit and compliance for major construction, manufacturing and property businesses.
To find out more information about our services please contact Richard Pike or call him on 01787 247 595